1. The future USS Little Rock (LCS 9) is the fifth littoral combat ship of the Freedom variant.
2. The ship’s name honors the capital city of Arkansas.
3. This littoral combat ship is the second ship of the U.S. Navy to be named Little Rock.
4. The future USS Little Rock was laid down June 27, 2013.
5. LCS 9 was christened and launched July 18 during a ceremony at Marinette Marine Corporation’s shipyard in Marinette, Wisconsin.
(U.S. Navy video courtesy of Lockheed Martin/Released)
6. Janée L. Bonner, spouse of the Honorable Josiah “Jo” Bonner, former U.S. representative of Alabama, is the ship’s sponsor.
7. At 3400-tons, LCS 9 is 388 feet in length, has a beam of 57 feet, and can operate at more than 40 knots.
8. The ship’s commissioning date is anticipated to be in 2016.