“These are extraordinary times to be serving forward in 7th Fleet. It would have been difficult to imagine, even two years ago, that our historically strong and vibrant relationships with Allies, Partners and Friends across the AOR could further advance to where they are today. As the reliable, relevant and responsible partner of choice throughout the region, 7th Fleet continues to provide extraordinary return on investment across the resource spectrum.” – Vice Adm. Scott H. Swift, commander, U.S. 7th Fleet
Around the world, the Navy is executing the core capabilities of the Maritime Strategy; operations from March include:
– The Enterprise Carrier Strike Groupmade port visits in Spain, France, Italy and Greece in support of U.S. 6th Fleet’s maritime security operations and theater security cooperation efforts.
– The Essex Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) embarked more than 2,000 Marines of the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit and departed White Beach Naval Facility in Okinawa, Japan for the ARG’s amphibious integration training and certification exercise.
– USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) conducted maritime security operations in the Arabian Gulf with the Royal Navy HMS Daring (D32), assigned to Combined Maritime Forces, Combined Task Force 152.
– USS Princeton (CG 59) and USS O’Kane (DDG 77) participated in Solid Curtain-Citadel Shield 2012.
– USS Connecticut (SSN 22) arrived at Fleet Activities Yokosuka during its deployment to the western Pacific.
– The United States Forces Korea and Combined Forces Command (USFK/CFC) and the Republic of Korea (ROK) kicked off the annual Foal Eagle exercise.
– The Carl Vinson Carrier Strike Group flew 1,085 sorties, totaling 6,600 hours, and dropped 6,640 lbs of bombs, in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.
– Naval Fleet Auxiliary Force ships attached to Commander Task Force 53 conducted 85 replenishment-at-sea evolutions, including 41 evolutions with coalition, European Union and NATO assets while operating in support of U.S. 5th Fleet operations.
Building Maritime Partnerships
– Sailors from U.S. Naval Forces Africa facilitated a tactical combat casualty care course with the Tanzanian People’s Defense Force in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania.
– Divers from Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit (MDSU) 2, Company 2-1 conducted training and dives with Colombian and, Trinidad and Tobago divers in support of Navy Dive-Southern Partnership Station 2012.
Humanitarian Assistance/Disaster Response
– USS John Paul Jones (DDG 53) and U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Baranof (WPB 1318) rescued 24 Filipino mariners in Arabian Gulf.
– Seabees from Naval Mobile Construction Battalion (NMCB) 40 Detail Timor-Leste renovated and rehabilitated two, four-room school buildings with detached restrooms at Fatumeta Primary School in Dili, Timor-Leste.