By Rear Adm. Sean S. Buck
Director, Twenty-First Century Sailor Office (N17)
As Director of the 21st Century Sailor Office and the Navy’s Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Officer, our office works very closely with the Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) for all sexual assault cases. I want to assure you that NCIS investigates 100% of unrestricted sexual assault reports that fall under the jurisdiction of NCIS. In order to assist our investigative team with investigating and completing cases in a timely manner, we responded by:
- Hiring an additional 54 NCIS personnel including special agents, investigators, forensic experts, cyber specialists, and analysts to assist with addressing the increase reports of sexual assault.
- Providing enhanced and comprehensive complex-case investigation training.
- Approaching cases in a multidisciplinary manner to include early collaboration between the prosecutors and NCIS special agents who investigate the cases and their supervisors who review case progress.
Additionally we have two metrics that my office measures pertaining to NCIS investigations. These include:
- Number of completed investigations
- Number of completed investigations moved forward for command action (adjudication)
Again, I want to stress that your Navy is determined to thoroughly investigate every allegation of sexual assault and ensure that the perpetrators will be held appropriately accountable for their actions. So stop by next week when I’ll talk about accountability with respect to the SAPR program.