The following is an update on the U.S. Navy’s current and ongoing support of FEMA and National and local authority relief efforts in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.
Current Operational Summary (last 24 hours):
- Sandy Hook Coast Guard Station
- Construction Battalion Maintenance Unit-202 conducted debris clearing and repairs.
- Underwater Construction Team 1 (UCT-1) conducted pier assessment, debris clearing and repairs for navigational hazards around piers.
- Two 4 person Maritime Civil Affairs Teams conduct needs assessment from Sandy Hook south in coordination with NJ Dept. of Transportation officials.
- NYC Mayor’s Office Support- 26th MEU assisted with dewatering and debris clearing efforts in Staten Island.- ARG assets supported Rockaway Beach, NY, dewatering efforts for public housing basements and Rockaway Waste Management Facility.
- CNO, MCPON, CMC, COMUSNORTHCOM and CGLANTAREA visited WASP and local area.
- NMCB-11 led reconnaissance, survey and debris clearing on NJ Barrier Island. NJ DoT.
- Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit 2 (MDSU 2) CO 2-5 conducted dewatering operations IVO World Trade Center Memorial.
- Navy Mobile Construction Battalion 11 (NMCB-11) conducted debris clearance at Miller Field.
- NMCB-11 and Composite Riverine Squadron 4 (CRS-4) support at Hoboken Ferry Terminal in the form of 9 light plants and personnel to operate them. NY/NJ Port Authority.
- NMCB-11 transited to Staten Island to support NYC emergent clearance/restoration Task Force in preparation for impending storm.
- Continue to clear debris from NJ Barrier Islands.
- Continue to provide afloat staging base and support to USCG District 1.
- Continue to rebuild Coast Guard Station Sandy Hook.
- Continue dewatering of Rockaway Beach, NY, and Brooklyn public housing.
- Continued support by NMCB-11 and CRS-4 at Hoboken Ferry Terminal Port Authority.
- NECC’s Fleet Survey Team will go ashore in order to complete tasking in Jamaica Bay.