Sept. 11 is a day every American should own. A day where we remember what it’s like when we come together and what we can accomplish when we do. It marks the anniversary of 9-11 and marked as a National Day of Service and Remembrance.
Below are resources for how you can get involved and a list of some of Navy’s commemoration efforts. We know this list is not comprehensive, so please leave comments below with how you plan to serve.
- United We Serve
- National and Community Service
- America’s Natural and Cultural Resources Volunteer Portal
- Red Cross
- Navy 9-11 Service and Remembrance
USNA will hold a Day of Commemorative Service at the Annapolis WWII Memorial (http://www.mdva.state.md.us/MMMC/inventoryPopups/wwiiAnnapolis.html) on Sept. 8, 2012 from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. The event will be open to the public and will include a small ceremony with a USNA speaker, and cleaning up the park, planting trees, etc. POC: Ms. Miriam Stanicic, 410-293-1527.
NAS Patuxent River will host a Prayer Breakfast at the Religious Programs Center at 7:30 a.m. on Sept. 11, 2012. Additional details being worked. POC: Mr. Gary Younger, 301-757-6748.
NAS Patuxent River will have a procession and commemoration ceremony on Sept. 11, 2012. The procession will start at the NEX parking lot at 8:45 a.m. and end at the main flagpole at approximately 9 a.m., escorted by emergency vehicles. A short ceremony will begin at 9:10-9:15. A bell will be rung for the next several minutes to coincide with events leading up to the collapse of the South World Trade Center Tower. Local law enforcement has been invited to participate in procession. Guest speakers have not yet been identified but most likely will be CAPT Mills (CO). POC: Mr. Gary Younger, 301-757-6748.
The U.S. Naval War College (NWC) will hold a remembrance of the 11th anniversary of the 9-11 attacks tomorrow at noon at the Patriots Memorial located on campus. NWC President RADM John N. Christenson and Dean of Students CAPT Ray Keledei are this year’s guest speakers. POC: Mr. Jim Brooks, 401-841-2001.
- Naval Station Newport will hold the 6th Annual Race To Remember, a 3 mile run/1.5 mile walk tomorrow in tribute to honor and remember those who have fallen. Event is open to the public by registration only. POC: Mr. Bob Krekorian, 401-841-3538.
- Pensacola Practice Day – Blue Angels practice over the airfield from the National Naval Aviation Museum
- Fort Worth – Annual 9/11 Awareness Event includes participants from fire/law enforcement agencies from surrounding municipalities. Open to Installation personnel, retirees and families.
- Arlington, VA – Wreath laying ceremony at Pentagon Memorial. Join Ceremonial Assets.
- NPASE NW – Remembrance Ceremony
- USS Arizona Memorial Interment
- USS New York 9/11 memorial event