“Small businesses in emerging industries – like clean energy – have cutting-edge ideas that are strengthening our country and changing the world.” - Ray Mabus, Secretary of the Navy
The Navy has worked to build and maintain strong relationships with the many small businesses that play a vital role in both the nation and the lives of its service members. In fact, the Navy participates in over 300 small business outreach events annually; matching prospective businesses with mission requirements. Last year alone, the Navy awarded over $14.2 Billion to small businesses as prime contractors, supporting over 200,000 jobs.
Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR)
- The SBIR program promotes technology development and innovation from small businesses to enhance Navy acquisition capability. Navy and the U.S. Small Business Administration established an agreement to promote more opportunities under SBIR. Green technology topics have increased by 20%.
- SBIR has been instrumental in small businesses providing breakthrough technology in Virginia Class Submarines from acoustic interface design and fabrication towed arrays to multi-tube weapon simulators.
- SBIR-developed technology now reduces F35 jet engine noise, protecting flight crew personnel.
- UAVs such as Scan Eagle were developed through research funded contracts under the SBIR program.
Supporting our Sailors and Marines every day
- Small business manufacturers produce uniforms, protective gear, and electronics used at sea and on the battlefield.
- Small Businesses were instrumental in the development of the Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicles used in Iraq and Afghanistan and providing IED detection methods.
- 135 buying activities across the Navy and Marine Corps use small businesses to support their mission.
Navy Small Business Professionals (SBPs)
- The Navy has 165 civilian and uniformed SBPs serving as principal advisors to commanders on acquisition strategies andpractices that promote maximum opportunity for small businesses to compete for Navy contracts. They are key contributorsto the Navy strategic communication plan due to their daily contact with the public.
Did you Know?
- The Navy has increased awards to small business by over $3.5 Billion in the past 6 years.
- Small Business competitively receives over $74B in subcontracting awards under DoD contracts.